Research & Innovation
Colas USA companies, as part of the Colas worldwide network, have some of the most renowned technical expertise in the industry. Colas’ research and innovation network spreads across the globe, consisting of technical teams and researchers on five continents.
Innovations that anticipate tomorrow’s infrastructure
The innovations of the Colas Group are implemented on infrastructure projects worldwide and take into account the specific local conditions regarding regulations, climate, traffic and the needs of customers, users and our staff in the field. Our focus is to:
- optimize current solutions. Because of ever changing needs, researchers, engineers and technicians are constantly improving our products, manufacturing processes and construction methods; and
- develop new solutions. One of our research priorities at Colas is to anticipate the requirements of the market and propose solutions to our customers. In particular, in developing new solutions, we always take into account performance requirements (reliability, durability, safety), worksite constraints (safety, weather conditions, production rates) and local issues.
The major focus of our research is to:
- reduce costs by recycling materials
- streamline manufacturing processes
- meet new road user needs
- and, of course, develop environmentally-friendly products
A priority: sustainable development
Preserving the environment is one of the Colas group’s priorities, a key component of our comprehensive responsible development policy. Research is also based on the principle of continuous improvement and involves the entire construction value chain, from the extraction of raw materials to the end of the infrastructure service life.
Our research programs focus on the following:
- reducing the consumption of natural resources
- reducing energy consumption
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- increasing the recycling of waste from our projects and industrial facilities
- developing environmentally-friendly products and techniques
Campus For Science and Techniques
Colas delivers these innovations through a worldwide technical network that includes 1,900 researchers, engineers and technicians. At the heart of this network is the Colas Campus for Science and Techniques (CST), the leading private research center in the industry. Based near Paris, France, the CST – pictured below – is home to teams of R&D engineers and technicians whose expertise and talent for research is entirely dedicated to Colas companies and their customers. Approximately 80 permanent staff at the CST are involved on a daily basis in designing, implementing and monitoring the group’s products and services. The CST’s activities all fall under various quality, safety and environment certifications that include ISO 9001, OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001. It is also a hub for the exchange of knowledge and know-how between researchers, academics, our teams and our customers. Its missions and goals make it a truly unique private research center.